Thursday, January 20, 2011

Blog Post 1

Hi, my name is Mandy. I have grown up in a small town on the far west outskirts of Mobile, called Wilmer, Al. My family built a new house when I was born, and we have lived there ever since. I now attend South Alabama where I also reside. I had always grown up where South was just the local college and nothing more. I had always wanted to attend a college in north Alabama until my senior year of high school. I began speaking with some of the advisors from South and decided that for my major, it was the right place for me. I am now majoring in Elementary and Special Education. The new program at South allows me to be certified in both areas without a double major. I have always had a passion for learning which I feel is a must have trait for all future educators. Although a teacher's first job is to teach the child, the teacher is always actively learning as well. I also have a love for children and am looking forward to hopefully being a great influence on many children's lives.

I am the baby of two; I have one older sister who is currently in law school. My parents have been married for twenty-six years and were high school sweethearts. My family fully backs my decision to go into education, and my mother has always said I had "the heart if a teacher". I like to be involved. I am a Sunday school teacher, dance teacher, and the new member educator of Alpha Omicron Pi sorority on campus. I am not very technologically literate so I look forward to this course.

6 comments:

  1. I also chose the University of South Alabama because of the education department. I felt that coming to USA was a good decision as well because of the new program they have designed for elementary and special education majors. I feel that the program at South will make us more marketable as teachers and give us the upper hand over that of someone who isn't certified in both areas. I am also the baby in my family and I love it. My mom and dad back my decision to be a teacher as well because they say I have a natural gift with children.

    I am also very interested to see what all we will learn in this course. I think it is going to be fun. I am not very technologically literate either but after this course I feel I will be a lot closer than I am now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I definitely agree that it will make South's graduates more marketable. I love the idea of this new program.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Mandy,

    I'm so glad that you have chosen South as your school for an education major. With classes like EDM 310, and others here at South, I think you will agree that there are not many classes like this in other universities.

    But, you will find that there are elementary schools around the world that use all the tools that you are just now learning. So, keep that in mind when thinking about your future in education!

    Stephen Akins

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry that EDM 310 link doesn't work try this one: EDM310

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Mandy!
    Where did you originally want to attend college? I went to Jacksonville State University (also in north alabama). Just curious! I also thought that I would never end up at South! So far I love it! What grade do you want to teach?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wanted to go to UAB, which was where I received many scholarships, but I just ended up down here. I want to teach third grade.
    Also for some reason my blog post two is not showing up from last week. I didn't even realize it wasn't here anymore until I saw that no one had commented on it. I must have somehow deleted it. I am about to send Dr. Strange an email about it.

    ReplyDelete