Sunday, May 1, 2011

Metaphors

So at first I completely missed the metaphor in the pencil story. I was more focused on how he talked about the focus on test scores and how to find a solution. I knew a metaphor was there, but I didn't completely get it. After I reread it, I caught the metaphor. I think for me metaphors can be tricky because I read into things so much.

I had never really considered how often I use metaphors. After listening out for metaphors, I have most often heard ones such as: "it's raining cats and dogs", "beat around the bush", "to break the ice",and a few others.

I guess a lot of attention was never really brought to metaphors in my classes growing up. We learned the definition and a few other uses of them, but never really focused on how they were used in real life.

I think metaphors are used more often than we know. People use metaphors to make stories more entertaining. I know one big problem I had as a kid was confusing metaphors and similes. Hopefully as a future educator I can help make metaphors more clear.

No comments:

Post a Comment