Sunday, March 13, 2011

Blog Post 8

This is How We Dream/Teach: The first video I watched began by talking about the traditional way of learning. It showed a library and books. It spoke of publishing paper copies and other traditional things. The speaker talked about the disvalue of these items by saying that one of his documents in now for sale on Amazon for only a few cents. Then he speaks of a new way for learning: Multimedia.

One great part of this multimedia is that it is never checked out and can therefore be shared always. He calls it "Sharing knowledge infinitely". How incredible! Now not only can we learn by sight, but we can learn by many other senses as well. Print, sound and visual learnings can all be combined into only one document.

The speaker gives a great quote when speaking on becoming a multimedia teacher. "This is the idea to push forward our learning. Why wouldn't we be on the front line for that?" What a great point! I feel that I am on the fast track to being able to teach multimedia. Then my students will also be able to use multimedia to its fullest.



I absolutely loved the EDM310 for Dummies video! I have felt exactly like this for most of the semester. As funny as it may sound, I think this book would actually make a fortune. This was such a great idea for a student video. I like the idea of creating videos to help future classes. Maybe even a video with step by step instructions on how to do some of the more tricky projects.



Learning to Change: While some of their arguments such as students collecting useful data from their cell phones, sms, facebook, and other social networks are a little extreme; I feel that they have a valid point. Right now I don't think students are using these things to learn. I am a college student and only recently started using these as educational tools. The key is teaching kids to make these things educational and useful. Why not revamp the status quo classroom? If we don't we will lose the coming generations.


The Secret Powers of Time/What Motivates Us: It is amazing how much influence time has on our daily lives. I know I for one am very guilty of at times letting time run my life. But how does time affect education? I think the way our system is currently set up creates such a deadline attitude for teachers which makes students in my opinion less likely to retain what they learn. I know from talking to current teachers that they say one of their biggest issues are time. They have so many standards they have to meet by a certain time that students miss some key ideas. In America, according to this video, a child drops out of school every 9 seconds. Wow! How sad! Maybe we should do something to try and help these kids.


4 comments:

  1. I hope you had a good Spring Break! I also really enjoyed the multimedia video and the philosophy of changing the classroom experience to incorporate the technologies students are using and exploring everyday. Multimedia is something I am very interested in because of its emerging theories and conventions.Everyone is exposed to and can decide what works and looks the best, but how and why is that? Visual literacy is so important and studying aspects of this will confirm the interdisciplinary discourses like rhetoric, cultural studies, advertising, or so much more impact many facets of life and therefore education.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Spring Break was great. I hope yours was enjoyable as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Actually, there are already a lot of step by step videos available. A quick search on the web site of the software producer or on YouTube is all it takes. I made them for a while.

    "Why not revamp the status quo classroom?" Why not? Exactly!

    "While some of their arguments such as students collecting useful data from their cell phones, sms, facebook, and other social networks are a little extreme..." Well, there are a lot of powerful projects available using these tools. Why do you think the arguments are "extreme"?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I guess I wasn't very clear with my thoughts on it being extreme. Sorry. I agree completely that there are many powerful projects available on these tools; I just do not see where kids are currently using these tools. This is not the fault of the children, but on society for not teaching the children how to properly use these tools.

    ReplyDelete